Thursday, January 21, 2010

Costa Rica, I am drinking you in, and you are smooth.

Yes, I am back. Round 2! It´s really good to be back. When Kate and I got to the ticket counter at the Denver Airport, we experienced some ridiculous stuff due to visa problems, so we hand to finagle some things around, but luckily we didn't miss our flight! And in the midst of all the stuff going on at the ticket counter Kate goes ¨ So here's the real question. Are you going to let the 8 extra pounds in our bags slide? I mean, I knew they were strict about the 50 pound bag limit, but dang. Clearly, the guy working the Frontier counter did not think it was as funny as I did. The timing was perfect...or in his case, not so perfect..at all!

We took off at midnight thirty, flew direct, and arrived in San Jose at around 6:45 am. If you didn't already know this about me, here you go...I absolutely hate flying. Hate it, Hate it, Hate it. But the flight was sweet. It wasn't bumpy, and for some reason we flew pretty low. Maybe since it was so late and dark? I actually just made that up, I have no idea, but flying low made me feel more comfortable, because if our plain did happen to fall out of the sky, we wouldn't fall as far. Yes, those are the thoughts that go through my head, and hence why I hate flying. I remember waking up at one point and looking out the window and seeing nothing but stars! It. was. INSANE. I have never seen so many stars in my life. All 22 years of it. For real, it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. And then...I woke up again, and got to see the sun rise over Belize...which was insane as well! Yes please, don't mind if i do. By far the prettiest flight I have ever had!

I got home yesterday around 9 am, and slept for a solid 7 hours. When I woke up, I started unpacking, and Luchi, my host mom, came into my room and gave me a margarita and some nuts...you know, for an unpacking snack! Man, I love that woman!

In other news, there is now a train that runs behind my house. Literally right behind my house. Last night at dinner my whole family was talking about how awful the train is. They said it comes by at 7:30 am, and it is wayyyy worse then the egg man. You know, the egg man. They guy who sells eggs at the butt crack of dawn while yelling ¨Huevos, Huevos, blah blah blah, Huevos!!!!!!!!!!!!!¨ I literally thought to myself ¨What could be worse then the egg man?¨ and then at 7:30 this morning I learned what was worse...the train. I felt like the freaking Polar Express was coming straight threw my window, and call me crazy but I'm pretty sure the whole house rattled.

Alright, that's all for now from the Rica. Young Life stuff doesn't start for a couple weeks, but kids go back to school at Lincoln on Monday, and we have a leader retreat next weekend.

Much love, and ¡Pura Vida!

4 comments:

  1. Lisa! I freaking love you. Oh, and read this, it's an ode to you.

    Can't wait for March. ¡Pura vida!

    (Oh, and The Egg Man? Funniest thing I've ever heard of.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it love it love it. i'm back to reading the blog! miss you my person. see you in march!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got back safe and sound! I miss you already! Do you need me to send you some earplugs for the train? love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, I don't know you, but you're apparently a friend of Amy and the Gathering, and you're in the Rich Coast, so that makes us pals by default (just ask Amy).

    So you're down here to work with Young Life. Cool. And this apparently is not your first time here. Also cool. If you haven't already, meet Jeni McClane (YL). She and Pablo are good friends of ours.

    Ours... Who ARE we anyway? If you give a flying guano who we are, ask Amy and email me: stefanhdd at gmail.com. You can also check out my poor excuse for a blog: stefanfk.wordpress dot com.

    P.S. I TOTALLY feel you about the egg people! I'm usually studying when they come around. At this very moment, we have the pleasure of hearing music and commercials BLARING from the front of a local shop. Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete