Friday, October 23, 2009

My life... it's hilarious

Yesterday gave me a headache... I substitute taught for elementary P.E. at Lincoln. Everything was going fine until my second class of the day...pre kindergarten. Frick. Lincoln classes are all taught in English (well...they are supposed to be taught in English.) I was curious from the beginning to see how well 5 year olds know English as their second language. Here's the answer...THEY DON'T. Oh man. All these little buddies kept coming up to me saying stuff in Spanish, and I just kept thinking "Uhhh...I have no idea what you're saying." I would tell them "En Inglés" and then they just got a stumped look on their face that said "How the heck am I supposed to do that woman?" And when I tried to explain what we were going to be doing all I got were blank looks, and then I realized...crap, they don't understand what I'm saying. Awesome. After that pre-k class, I had two more pre-k's then, a couple kindergarten classes, first grade, and then second grade. One would think that the first and second grade classes would be a lot better, but don't be confused...they weren't. Needless to say, it was a funny/frustrating/exhausting day. Oh and freaking taking attendance was a task in itself. Attendance, that's supposed to be the easiest part right? WRONG. I was totally that sub that mispronounced every name. The kids would giggle after every name I said. Lo siento. My bad. After the third class I completely did away with attendance. I mean come on, it's elementary P.E. When I student taught last semester I never had to take attendance-the classroom teachers are supposed to do that. It's not like high school where kids ditch or anything. These kids are 5. So, I didn't feel that bad for not taking roll.

Let's see what else...I tied about 20 shoes laces, and I got called teacher about a zillion times. Teacher look at this. Teacher, Roldolpho hit me. Teacher watch me. Teacher can I go the bathroom? Teacher. Teacher. Teacher. Probably 30 kids asked me if I was from the United States. ¿Estados Unidos? ¡Si si! That made me laugh-30 kids...that's a lot, and that number is not an exaggeration. Yes, I am from the U.S. of A! And then each little buddy would tell me about the time(s) that they went to the US. Disney Land, Grandma's house, whatever they did in the United States I got to hear about it...in Spanish. Awesome. And don't worry, I get to do this 4 more days next week, so I'm sure I will have plenty more stories for you :)

1 comment:

  1. I love that you tied shoe laces! You are the best, teacher!

    ReplyDelete