Friday, November 20, 2009

Camp of Champions

Dinner conversation last night with me and my host sister....

host sister: I went to dentist yesterday. ( or at least that's what it sounded like she said!)
me: Ughhh...I have to go to the dentist when I get home to Colorado, and I think I have a cavity.
host sister: Huhh?
me: I have a cavity. You know..it's a hole in your tooth, so I have to get it fixed. I'm not excited for it, because they kind of hurt.
me: Did you just get your teeth cleaned or did you have to get a cavity fixed too?
host sister: (with a confused look on her face) Huhhh? Ohhhhh. No, I went to Denny's last night..the restaurant, not the dentist.

My bad I could have sworn she said the dentist! We laughed!

I just got back yesterday afternoon from 7th grade "Camp of Champions" with Lincoln students. Lincoln hires the Boy with a Ball (a Christian ministry here) staff to put on secular camps for each grade, and teach values. 75% of Costa Rica's presidents graduate from Lincoln. This school encompasses most of the countries leaders, and the principal wants these kids to learn values in order for them to one day have the ability to lead well. Camp was really cool. It was at La MontaƱa, which is where we have Wyld Life camp in April. It was an awesome platform to start building relationships with kids. These kids come from some of the wealthiest families in Costa Rica. They live in a third world country yet their parents are able to pay thousands of dollars each year for school. So they think they have it all, because materialistically they pretty much do. A lot of them even have their own personal drivers. But I was reminded that there is such an clear need for these kids to know Christ.

Oh and side note, I saw the biggest spiders I have ever seen in my entire life at camp. Seriously, baseball size, and that's not an exaggeration.

We have WyldLife tonight. Woop Woop! Happy Friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment