Monday, August 17, 2009

I'm sitting at the Young Life office right now, it's pouring rain, I'm drinking coffee, and Kate and John are on computers next to me. I love everything about this moment! We just got back from Lincoln (the International school we are going to be leading at) and dang, I'm so excited! John introduced us to some kids, some teachers, and showed us the campus. We will be going to up to campus to see kids at lunch every Tuesday and Thursday. Young Life club is every Wednesday night, and Wyld Life club is every other Friday. It blows my mind when I think about the fact that God dosen't need us to further His kingdom because He is totally capable of do that on His own, but rather He chooses to use us, and I find so much joy in that!

Here are some random things and happenings in my life down here.
-I found out to use apostrophys on the EspaƱol keyboard. ' ' ' ' ' !!!!!! :)
-I helped make a pie for mothers day on Saturday with Lisa and Tacho (my host sister & host dad) and we listend to Jack Johnson and U2 in la cocina (the kitchen). It made me smile.
-There is an International Baptist Church here that we went to yesterday, and the service is in ENGLISH!!!! Mmmm! I was stoked to be able to worship our God, and sing Him praises in a language I understood. We went to a Spanish speaking church the previous night, it was awesome, it's just that I was lost the WHOLE time. It was really sweet though to be able to see people worship in a different language.
-I stayed up late last night talking with my host sister and her best friend, Mey Mey. It was a true delight. I love thier best friend relationship, and have found so much joy here in simple conversations!
-I'm so thankful for Kate and the fact that she is here. She's a baller!
-I get to help coach the middle school/high school girls basketball team! The head coach, Anna, is 25, from Alabama, and plays basketball at the University of Costa Rica. She used to lead Wyld Life at Lincoln, and is now working for another Christian ministry here called Boy with a Ball. I'm excited to get to know her.
-I have three keys to get into my house. One for the first gate, one for the second gate, and then one for the door. I don't even own a house key for my house back home in Colorado!
-Here in Costa Rica it's customary to do this side of the cheek kissing thing everytime you greet someone. I love the fact that they do this, I'm just not totally used to it yet. I'm getting better because no exageration, I've done it at least 200 times since I've been here. Again, somethings are going to take some getting used to.
- Whenever I'm at mi casa with mi familia and I don't know what to do or what to say, I just pet the dogs. I love dogs, I really do, but my host family probably thinks I really really really love them, because I pet them a lot! :) aka I don't know what to do or say A LOT!
-We went to Subway today. I was excited...until I had no freaking idea how to order. Thank goodness for my spanish speaking sidekicks John, Jessie, and Kate!
-Last night around 6 ish I was laying in bed reading, and outside my window I heard the Shania Twain song "Man, I feel like a Woman" blasting. It made me giggle...a lot!
-The hospitality here is stupid (stupid in a crazy, good, oh my gosh way) I just realized a couple days ago that my host mom and sister share a room, and I have a room to my self. My host dad lives at the beach a couple hours away, because that's where he works. Lisa has a twin bed, and then Luchi has a queen. All crammed into a room. And then I have a room all to myself, with a queen bed. The hospitality...it's unreal.

Ok, this was a lot, but there's a lot going on in my life right now. Everything feels new. I feel out of my comfort zone...a lot! But I have totally felt the Lord's comfort, and am so so greatful for that. My prayer going into this was that I would see the Lord in new ways, and I definitely have. I'm stoked beyond belief for this school year with Lincoln Young Life and Wyld Life. I really can't believe I'm here. God is good, and that's quite the understatment of the century.

Ok, I'm really done now. Sorry. My name is Lisa Ordway, and I sometimes have a tendency to write short novels. Woops!

¡Pura Vida!

1 comment: