Friday, August 14, 2009

We're here!!

Yes, Kate and I are in Costa Rica!!! We were picked up from the airport yesterday by John and Jessie (the two American's on staff here), as well as some other Costa Ricans, including our host mothers. We went out to lunch to a place called...I forget the name...but it served a lot of chicken. It was really good! Afterwards we went to the Young Life office, and then headed to our new homes! My host familia is wonderful. My host mom Luchi dosen't speak english, but she can understand a little. We just smile a lot at eachother :) My host Dad is awesome. He speaks more english then I expected, and then I have two host siblings, Tacho and Lisa. Tacho is 30 and is a big giddy guy, and Lisa is 21 and so great! They both speak english too! In addition to mi familia, tengo dos perros! Un dalmation y un lab, and I'm obsessed with them both!

After unpacking John picked Kate and I up and we met up with some people to play NERTZ. I felt like I was right back in Lawrence! We played outside in this patio area at Boo's house (another leader) where Kate noticed a tree that had green things growing from it and said "are those limes???" Kate and I were so excited to see a lime tree. I know that's not a huge deal, but we for sure don't have those in Colorado! Also, a funny thing last night that happened was when Jessie was telling Kate and I about what we were going to be doing the following day. She mentioned something about how she said she talked to our moms about it, and I said "You called our moms??" I was very confused as to how she had our mom's phone numbers back in the States. Come to find out she was talking about our host moms! Got it!

Afterwards, I went back home to find my host siblings and a couple of their friends around the kitchen table. We all ate tres leche, which was so delicious! They all spoke in Spanish, and I had no idea what was going on. My host brother, Tacho, would stop every five minutes or so and give me the play by play of what they had been talking about. Oh wait, I did understand one thing they were all talking about during our time eating tres leche. I heard them say Facebook, but that's all I could understand! :)

I've definitley felt overwhelmed by not knowing Spanish and having no idea what people were talking about, but at the same time I have totally felt the Lord's comfort in my ALL confusion. I'm so eager and excited to learn Spanish, and have learned a little more already!
Today, Kate, John, and I all met at the office to pray, and then Kate and I were sent on a mission. Mission San Jose is what it was called. We had to catch the bus, which is a mission in it self, and ride downtown to do a scavenger hunt. It was a success! Now we are back at the office about to take care of some business...aka talk about some logistics.

Hasta Luego!

2 comments:

  1. lis! you're there! can't believe it :) keep up your good work with blogging. i love the part where you asked, "you called our moms???" that's awesome. you would say that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it safely there, sugar! Hope you're soaking it all in and eating lots of rice & beans.
    Love u!

    ReplyDelete